Wednesday he started with what I thought was cold symptoms. Runny nose, congestion, and just kinda unhappy. So I called right before the doctor's office closed and got an appointment for him at 9 am on Thursday morning. We went and got checked out. They thought that it might just be a cold and that as long as he was eating ok he would be fine. But they wanted to check him again Friday morning to make sure he would be ok through out the weekend. We got home and he was just clingy and whinny. He was still eating his bottle but was just taking his dear sweet time to eat a 5 oz bottle. We went back in on Friday morning and they ended up testing him for RSV because he sounded a little worse. Got the results back and sure enough it was RSV. Dr. Vernon decided that his oxygen level was high enough to try to stick it out at home but to just keep a close eye on him. But they wanted to check him again Saturday morning. We went back in and he was worse...they checked his oxygen level and it was dropping down to like 84. They ended up putting oxygen on him which was bringing his levels back up. But this sealed his fate of getting admitted to hospital. The nurse practitioner called Dr. Vernon at the hospital and they decided that he wasn't bad enough to get sent to ER so we just waited on her to come check on him. She did and wrote out his orders and sent us to Gateway.
We got there and they got him all hooked up to everything and started some oxygen. They continued through out the day to get a little better but then to get a little worse. They ended up putting him on 2 liters of oxygen. That was doing pretty well but and I thought that maybe we were over the worst of it. I had even told Stephen on the phone that he seemed to be much better. I had just finished eating dinner when everything started happening. His oxygen started dropping even while he was still hooked up to the 2 liters. He started having to work really hard to breathe and so they call Dr. Vernon and she wanted to get a blood gas on him. When she came in she pretty much decided he needed to go to Vandy. I wasn't sure what to do....they were having to try to get an IV in him and get some other labs done. I was a basket case at this point. I didnt know what in the world was going on....didn't know if he would be ok. I was a mess. They told him that and ambulance from Vandy would be coming up to get him in about an hour. And that one of us could ride with him and other could follow them. So I sent Stephen to get gas so we would be ready as soon as they got there. But maybe 10 minutes later I hear that they are going to Lifeflight him. I am pretty sure my heart stopped at that point! The only thing going through my mind was that my baby was bad enough to be Lifeflighted! Dr. Vernon talked to me and reassured me that he would be ok and that they were Lifeflighting him because that was Vandy's call and it wasn't because he was that bad! She also told me that they were at the breaking point of what they could do for him and if he got any worse they wouldn't be able to do anything. So she felt that it was best to send him to Children's Vanderbilt where they could take the best care of him.
Lifeflight got there and all my nerves were gone because they 3 nurses were AMAZING! They explained everything to me and they were explaining some things about RSV that had not been explained to us. I felt that he was in the best hands possible! One of the nurses took Stephen's cell number and said he would call us as soon as they landed! After they got him taken care of and they were ready to go we went out with him. I was ok and holding everything together until I was on the way to car and the helicopter started. I LOST it! I realized that my precious baby boy would be flying with total strangers. I cried as I loaded up the car and then I drove over closer to where the helicopter was and then he started taking off. I LOST it all over again!!! We got on the interstate and I was ok again until I lost his lights....I couldn't see him anymore! Then a few minutes later we got the call that they were there and that Noah had slept the whole way and was doing fine.
When we got to the ER we walked into a peaceful, sleeping angel. He seemed to be doing ok. We ended up seeing at least 7 different doctors. They were all very comforting and reassuring. The care he has received has been amazing!
Its currently 5:30 on Sunday Afternoon and he is doing ok. He has been eating really well and has been off oxygen since about 2 pm and seems to be doing ok. Just praying that he will continue to improve and we can go home!
I am reminded more than ever that God is in control and he is watching over my baby boy! I am so grateful for such a powerful and mighty God.
Thank you all for your prayers!! They were felt and much appreciated...keep them coming!
Oh my goodness I am reading this and crying with you. God is there with you....
ReplyDelete((hug)) my friend