Friday, February 11, 2011

Natalie Elizabeth Grubbs

She is finally here! Praise the Lord! I still can't believe that she is over a week old. She entered the world February 2, 2011 at 2:47 p.m. I have been wanting to write down her birth story but haven't been able to find the time. But both kiddos are sleeping so I figured now is the best time. So here goes.

Lets go back to January 25th, I had a doctor's appointment that morning with a tentative induction the next day. Dr. Yu wanted to check me to see if my cervix had thinned out any before she would induce. Sure enough I had not! I was crushed! Here I was thinking almost the whole pregnancy that she would be here at least a week early only to learn that that was not going to be the case! I started crying before I ever left the office and continued ALL the way back to Clarksville. I just knew that that week was going to be the longest week of my life. And it pretty much was but God gave me a peace about it and I knew that she would be here in His timing not mine.

Jumping forward to my due date, February 1st. I had another appointment with Dr. Yu...I was trying to not to get myself worked up like I had the week before but I couldn't help it. She checked me and Praise the Lord I had thinned enough to make her feel better about inducing. So she said we could go in the next day for induction!!! I couldn't not contain myself I was SO excited.

That night we got Nathan ready to spend the night with Yvette Moore and took him over about 9 that night. We tried to get some sleep...didn't really happen but we tired. We hit the road to Nashville about 4:30 the next morning. I got checked in and got the iv with the pitocin started about 6:45/7 a.m. It didn't really seem real that my baby girl would here sometime that day. With Nathan I was already having contractions when they started the pitocin but I wasn't really have any this time. Dr. Yu came in about 7:30 and I was about 2 cm and she broke my water. For those who don't remember Nathan had meconium in his fluid. And had to be kept in the Special Care Unit for the first 18 hours of his life. Sure enough my worse fear was there...she had meconium as well! I was SO upset I just kept thinking that this is going to be Nathan's birth all over. I just wanted to be able to hold her right after she was born. As the day started Stephen got a little sleep...I tried but was starting to have small contractions and just couldn't get comfortable. They checked me around 9 or so and I was 3 cm but still really thick about 50%. The contractions started to get worse so I decided to go ahead and get the epidural. I was afraid to wait because of how quick Nathan came...I did not want to have this kid without drugs! I am not a hero nor do I want to try to be! I got the epidural and started to feel a lot better. They checked me again only to find out I was still only about 3 cm. It was then that I realized that I was more than likely in for a long day of labor. Stephen's mom, Granny, and Shayne called to say they were here and while Stephen went to go get them Dr. Yu came back around noon and said I was about 5 cm and about 80%! She also thought that things would start to speed up soon! She said she would be back after the office closed or if they called her first. About an hour later they checked me again and I was 6 cm. Right after that my parents got there. I started to feel like she was dropping just like I did with Nathan. I told the nurse that she might want to recheck me. She did and I was 7 cm, 100% and her head was right there. About 20 mins later I felt her again...they checked me again I was complete. They called Dr. Yu and she was on the way. I couldn't believe that she was really almost here. The nurse wanted me to do a practice push....they had to tell me to stop because she was going to come before Dr. Yu could get there. They had called in NICU because of the meconium and I kept telling them and the nurse to PLEASE clean her off quick I did not want to go through that again. They promised they would do their best. Dr. Yu came in and while getting dressed told them about Nathan and what had happened with him. They were ready and started having me push. I pushed through two contractions and her head was out...they didn't wait they started cleaning her face and sucking out her nose and mouth. I pushed again and she was here! They let Stephen cut the cord and they passed her over to NICU. I couldn't stop crying and praying! I was so scared of what they were going to tell me. About 2 mins later they told me that she was 100% ok! I lost it! I was so grateful to God for protecting my baby girl and she was here happy and healthy. And I finally got the moments that I had been waiting for...those first precious hours with just our family and her. I was so thankful! Everything was perfect.

By the time we got into the regular room that night Nathan was there to meet his baby sister. I was worried about how he would react. I didn't have a clue how he would handle this. He didn't say much until a few minutes later the nurse came in to give her her bath and do all the stuff they needed to do. And Nathan burst into tears..."Sissy, Sissy" He did not want that lady touching his baby sister. My heart was SO happy. He wasn't jealous he was in love and protective. So Stephen took him to the window so he could see that she was ok. After he calmed down and was back in my room he had to take EVERYONE by the hand to go see his sissy! As they got ready to go back to Clarksville he kept saying "Bye, Bye Sissy" "I love you, sissy, I love you!"

I am completely grateful to God for such a wonderful family! I am thankful for two beautiful, precious babies. I pray they would continue to be happy, healthy, but most importantly I pray for their salvation. I pray they would accept Christ at the earliest possible time and that they would strive to please Him daily!

Thank you for all those who have and are praying for us. Also thank you to all of those who have feed us over this last week. It has been a HUGE help to us to not to have to worry about what is for dinner. We love each and every one of you.

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl! I just now got to sit down and read this. I started crying when I read about Nate being so protective. He is such a good big brother!!! <3

    I'm so glad Natalie was perfectly healthy and you got to hold your baby girl right after you had her! It's such a special moment!!!

    Love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete